Thursday, October 4, 2007

How to burn through GoPhone money in seconds!

I was Googling around randomly the other day, like I often do, and I found Google maps for palm. On a whim, I downloaded and installed it on my treo650, and it runs like a charm. However, it has a little indicator up in the top right hand corner, showing how much stuff has been downloaded. Within, oh, maybe 45 seconds of poking around, it was well above 200k (not sure exactly what it got to). I then realized that I am charged $0.10 per KB. That fun little session of Google mapping cost me over $2!

Not a huge deal I suppose, considering I have about $114 in GoPhone monies, but I don't think I'm going to use google maps anymore...

2 comments:

Ian Nixon said...

Exactly why I disable EDGE on my iPhone. The other day, someone borrowed my phone to play around with it, and I totally forgot about the data charges. I had $21.something left, and when I got it back, it had about $13 left, and the remainder of my 1MB data package depleted. >:/

John said...

I just did the exact same thing again. I figured out how to get email to work, so of course I downloaded just the subjects of about 20 emails. $1.50 gone in seconds... :(